Version Date: December 21, 2022
You also agree to abide by the applicable laws of applicable states and U.S. federal law concerning your use of the Website and your agreements with us. Any persons accessing our Website from any jurisdiction with laws or regulations governing the use of the Internet, including personal data collection, use and disclosure, different from those of the jurisdictions mentioned above may only use the Website in a manner lawful in their jurisdiction. If your use of the Website would be unlawful in your jurisdiction, please do not use the Website.
GATHERING, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF NON-PERSONALLY-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
USERS OF THE WEBSITE GENERALLY
“Non-Personally-Identifying Information” is information that cannot be associated with an identified or identifiable individual. “Personally-Identifying Information,” by contrast, is information such as a name, login details, or email address that can be associated with an identified or identifiable individual. Additionally, our third-party service provider that is responsible for billing and payment processing services (the “Payment Services Provider”) may collect your billing and credit card information from you directly. Like most website operators, Company gathers from users of the Website Non-Personally-Identifying Information of the sort that Web browsers, depending on their settings, may make available. That information includes the user’s operating system, browser type and the locations of the websites the user views right before arriving at, while navigating and immediately after leaving the Website. Additionally, the Company gathers Internet Protocol (IP) address from users of the Website; it may be possible for Company to determine from an IP address a user’s Internet service provider and the geographic location of the visitor’s point of connectivity as well as other statistical usage data. Company analyzes information gathered from users of the Website to help Company better understand how the Website is being used. By identifying patterns and trends in usage, Company is able to better design the Website to improve users’ experiences, both in terms of content and ease of use. From time to time, Company may also release the Non-Personally-Identifying Information gathered from Website users in the aggregate, such as by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Website.
A “Web Beacon” is an object that is embedded in a web page or email that is usually invisible to the user and allows website operators to check whether a user has viewed a particular web page or an email. Company may use Web Beacons on the Website and in emails to count users who have visited particular pages, viewed emails and to deliver co-branded services. Web Beacons are not used to access users’ Personally-Identifying Information. They are a technique Company may use to compile aggregated statistics about Website usage. Web Beacons collect only a limited set of information, including a Web Cookie number, time and date of a page or email view and a description of the page or email on which the Web Beacon resides. You may not decline Web Beacons. However, they may be rendered ineffective by declining all Web Cookies or modifying your browser setting to notify you each time a Web Cookie is tendered, permitting you to accept or decline Web Cookies on an individual basis.
The Website may use third-party service platforms (including to help analyze how users use the Website). These third-party service platforms may place cookies on your computer or mobile device. The information collected may be used to, among other things, analyze and track data, determine the popularity of certain content and better understand online activity. If you would like to disable “third party” cookies, you may be able to turn them off by going to the third party’s website.
Here are links to the main third-party platforms we use:
AGGREGATED AND NON-PERSONALLY-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
We may share aggregated and Non-Personally Identifying Information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may combine Non-Personally Identifying Information we collect with additional Non-Personally Identifying Information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated information with third parties, including advisors and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may tell third parties the number of visitors to the Website and the most popular features or services accessed. This information does not contain any Personally-Identifying Information and may be used to develop website content and services that we hope you and other users will find of interest.
MOBILE DEVICE ADDITIONAL TERMS
- Mobile Device. If you use a mobile device to access the Website or download any of our applications, we may collect device information (such as your mobile device ID, model and manufacturer), operating system, version information and IP address.
- Push Notifications. We send you push notifications if you choose to receive them, letting you know when someone has sent you a message or for other service-related matters. If you wish to opt out from receiving these types of communications, you may turn them off in your device’s settings.
- Mobile Analytics. We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our mobile software on your phone. This software may record information, such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any Personally-Identifying Information you submit within the mobile application.
We may use hyperlinks on the Website which will redirect you to a social network if you click on the respective link. However, when you click on a social plug-in, such as Facebook’s “Like” button, Twitter’s “tweet” button or the Google+, that particular social network’s plugin will be activated and your browser will directly connect to that provider’s servers. If you do not use these buttons, none of your data will be sent to the respective social network’s plugin provider. So for example, when you click on the Facebook’s “Like” button on the Website, Facebook will receive your IP address, the browser version and screen resolution, and the operating system of the device you have used to access the Website. Settings regarding privacy protection can be found on the websites of these social networks and are not within our control.
COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONALLY-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION FROM USERS
We may also collect Personally-Identifying Information about you from third-party sources such as LinkedIn and Substack, such as your job title, job function, company name, and/or email address.
BY REGISTERING WITH OR USING THE WEBSITE, YOU CONSENT TO THE USE AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONALLY-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION AS DESCRIBED IN THIS “COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONALLY-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION” SECTION.
We may occasionally use your name and email address to send you notifications regarding new services offered by the Website or Networking Activities that we think you may find valuable. We may also send you service-related announcements from time to time through the general operation of the service. If you opt in, we and third parties acting on our behalf will use your name and email address to send you our weekly newsletter. If you wish to opt out of receiving these communications from Company or to change your preferences, you may do so by following the unsubscribe link in the email communications, by adjusting your subscription preferences (if applicable), or contacting us using the contact information below.
Company will generally disclose Personally-Identifying Information we gather about you through the Website or in connection with Networking Activities under the following circumstances:
- Research Collaborations. From time to time, we may collaborate with a third party to produce research reports for the Website. We will inform you if we share your name, email address and/or company name with such a third party and provide you with an option to opt out of such sharing.
- Third-Party Service Providers. We may share your Personally-Identifying Information with our authorized service providers that perform certain services on our behalf (including without limitation our Payment Services Provider). These services may include website hosting, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, providing a newsletter subscription platform, supporting the Website’s functionality and supporting other features offered through the Website. In the course of providing products or services to us, these service providers may have access to information collected through the Website, and related to our Networking Activities, including your Personally-Identifying Information. We use reasonable efforts to ensure that these service provides are capable of protecting the security of your Personally-Identifying Information. Please note, in particular, that the Website may use Google Analytics, including its data reporting features. Information collected by Google Analytics includes but is not limited to web metrics. For information on how Google Analytics collects and processes data, please see the site “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps”, currently located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. For information on opting out of Google Analytics, we encourage you to visit Google’s website, including its list of currently available opt-out options.
COMPANY RETENTION OF PERSONALLY-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
Company will only retain your Personally-Identifying Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it collected it or as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
To determine the appropriate retention period for Personally-Identifying Information, the Company will consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of that information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure, the purposes for which it processes your Personally-Identifying Information and whether it can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
YOUR CHOICES REGARDING YOUR PERSONALLY-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
You may at any time review or change your Personally-Identifying Information by going to your subscription preferences (if applicable) or contacting us using the contact information below. Under certain circumstances and in compliance with the European Data Protection Laws, you may have the right to:
- Request access to your Personally-Identifying Information (commonly known as ‘subject access request’). This enables you to receive a copy of the Personally-Identifying Information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it;
- Request correction of the Personally-Identifying Information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected;
- Request erasure of your Personally-Identifying Information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove your Personally-Identifying Information where there is no good reason for us to continue processing it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove all of your Personally-Identifying Information in certain circumstances;
- Object to processing of your Personally-Identifying Information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or that of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground;
- Request the restriction of processing of your Personally-Identifying Information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your Personally-Identifying Information, for example, if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it;
- Request the transfer of your Personally-Identifying Information to another party; and
- Lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority (as defined in the European Data Protection Laws). If you have any complaints about the way we process your Personally-Identifying Information, please do contact us. Alternatively, you may lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority which is established in your country.
We will only use your Personally-identifying information to the extent that the law allows us to do so. Pursuant to the European Data Protection Laws, legal bases for our processing your Personally-Identifying Information may include (without limitation):
- where you have given consent to the processing, which consent may be withdrawn at any time without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent prior to withdrawal;
- where it is necessary to perform the contract we have entered into or are about to enter into with you (whether in relation to the provision of the Website or otherwise);
- where it is necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject; and/or
- where it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) in providing or marketing the Website, or engaging in Networking Activities, and your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms do not override those legitimate interests.
COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION BY THIRD PARTIES GENERALLY
We take the security of your Personally-Identifying Information seriously and use reasonable electronic, personnel and physical measures to protect it from loss, theft, alteration or misuse. However, please be advised that even the best security measures cannot fully eliminate all risks. We cannot guarantee that only authorized persons will view your information. We are not responsible for third-party circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures.
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) protects the online privacy of children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect or maintain Personally-Identifying Information from anyone under the age of 13, unless or except as permitted by law. Any person who provides Personally-Identifying Information through the Website represents to us that he or she is 13 years of age or older. If we learn that Personally-Identifying Information has been collected from a user under 13 years of age on or through the Website, then we will take the appropriate steps to cause this information to be deleted. If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child under 13 who has become a member of the Website or has otherwise transferred Personally-Identifying Information to the Website, please contact Company using our contact information below to have that child’s account terminated and information deleted.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the “Shine The Light” law, permits our users who are California residents to request and obtain from us, once a year and free of charge, information about the Personally-Identifying Information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of the Personally-Identifying Information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with which we shared Personally-Identifying Information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to our privacy officer as listed below.
Most web browsers and some mobile operating systems include a Do-Not-Track (“DNT”) feature or setting you can activate to signal your privacy preference not to have data about your online browsing activities monitored and collected. Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret the DNT signal, the Website currently does not respond to DNT browser signals or mechanisms.
Coin Metrics Inc.
Attn: Privacy Officer
125 High Street, Suite 350
Boston, MA 02110
Email: [email protected].io
COPYRIGHT AND LEGAL NOTICE
Copyright © 2023 Coin Metrics Inc. All Rights Reserved.