The promotion of Coin Metrics API v2.0 to “stable” will result in breaking changes. Please read below for important information and action items.
At the moment the Coin Metrics REST API has three major versions, labeled v1, v2, and v3, and it’s up to a user of the API what version to use. Only v1 is marked as stable, while v2 and v3 are in-development versions. In accordance with our API versioning policy, versions in development can receive breaking changes at any time.
Coin Metrics has completed planned updates to its APIs. These updates were pushed to v3.0 for testing purposes. Now that v3.0 has been tested, the changes included in v3.0 will be merged into v2.0. The changelog can be found here.
Next Step and Action Items
On Tuesday, June 18th at 8:00AM EST the following changes will be applied:
- API v2 will switch to the same public interface as the current API v3.
- API v2 will then be promoted to “stable”.
What does it mean for you as an API user:
- If you currently use API v1, nothing changes for you. API v1 is declared “stable”, and will not receive breaking changes, now or in the future.
- If you currently use API v2, your implementation will likely break, as there are important differences between v2 and v3. The best course of action is:
- Temporarily switch to using the current API v3 instead of v2, adapting your code to changes in API v3 as compared to v2.
- After the planned changes to API go into effect, it is advised to switch back to using API v2, which at that point will be identical to API v3 with added advantage of being declared “stable”.
- If you currently use API v3, nothing will change for you at the moment. However, it is advised to switch to API v2 after the planned changes to API go into effect, because API v2 will be declared “stable”, as opposed to API v3 which will continue to be “in-development” and may receive breaking changes without notice.
- API v1: https://docs.coinmetrics.io/api/v1/
- API v2: https://docs.coinmetrics.io/api/v2/ (current docs; the docs will change after the switch; to see how it will look like, please consult API v3 docs at the moment)
- API v3: https://docs.coinmetrics.io/api/v3/
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact us at [email protected]